Saga Pure joins Nel and Norwegian Hydrogen with the acquisition of Hyon

Sustainability is the main priority in the maritime sector, and hydrogen will play an important role in the future maritime fuel mix.

Saga Pure Asa today (29th June) announced the acquisition of Hyon As, joining Nel Asa and Norwegian Hydrogen, where all three partners now own 29% each in the company.

The value of the transaction has not been revealed. With 87% is owned by three partners, the remaining 13% will be held by key employees Jorn Kristian Lindtvedt, CEO of the company, and Harald Hansen as Director of Project Development & Commercial. Both executives previously worked in relation to the Deep Purple project led by TechnipFMC.

Hyon has a strong position within maritime hydrogen solutions and will mainly focus on developing and commercialising hydrogen and bunkering solutions for harbours. It is developing solutions for the production and fuelling of hydrogen-powered ships.

Bjorn Simonsen, CEO of Saga Pure, said, “An entirely new value chain needs to be developed, and a key part of that is transferring hydrogen from the harbours to the vessels.”

Jens Berge, CEO of Norwegian Hydrogen AS, said, “There is a strong demand for green hydrogen in the near future, and we are developing a robust infrastructure for both heavy road transport and maritime sector.”

Morten Holum, CEO Hexagon Purus, said, “The new partnership structure will secure development and supply of a crucial part of the maritime hydrogen value chain with bunkering solutions.”

Hexagon Purus is a significant shareholder in Norwegian Hydrogen, and to accelerate its efforts in the maritime sector with its new business area, it launched a new business, Hexagon Purus Maritime, on 28th June.

Ethan Mandel

Ethan is the special correspondent for Europe covering the hydrogen industry for H2 Bulletin. Please click on the email icon to contact me via email or follow me on social media. I am reachable on Phone: +44 (0) 208 123 7812
Back to top button
X